Tuesday, January 1, 2013

How To Eat A Beignet

This year my boyfriend and I decided to spend New Year's Eve in New Orleans. My boyfriend has been there multiple times but this was my first. New Orleans is famous for its jazz, crawfish, oysters, muffuletta, praline, beignets and Mardi Gras, just to name a few. While in New Orleans you gotta eat what the New Orleanians eat, right? So, we gorged ourselves with food from restaurant institutions such as NOLA, The Court of Two Sisters, Cafe Dumonde and celebrate the new year with *ahem* a few drinks. One of the foods we ate most often was beignets from Cafe Dumonde and Cafe Beignet, but mostly at Cafe Beignet because it was located directly across from our hotel on Bourbon Street. Over the 3 days in New Orleans the two of us ate more beignets than anyone should ever eat. They were so finger licking gooood.

The first day we arrived, it was cold, overcast and windy. We decided to grab some beignets from the world famous Cafe Dumonde. After waiting in line for an hour (it only takes 30 min but we waited in the wrong line the first 30 min, duh) we finally got the beignets, but immediately I saw a problem! I was wearing black leggings with black boots, it was windy and beignets have powered sugar on them. Do you see the problem? Looking down at my black but now white dotted leggings and boots, I decided to post a guide to eating beignets so that others won't share the same misfortune as I did.

Step 1 - Check wind direction.

Step 2 - Shake bag for maximum powder sugar coverage.
Step 3 - Assume the beignet eating position by bending over as far as you can.














Step 4 - Continue standing position until finish eating.
Step 5 - Do I have something on my face? Make sure you don't walk around town with powder sugar on your lips or face!







And that's how you enjoy your beignets without making a big mess.





Website to Cafe Beignet: http://www.cafebeignet.com
Website to Cafe Du Monde: http://www.cafedumonde.com


1 comment:

  1. This is definitely something I wish I'd known before. Thank you for the highly informative (and hilarious) guide!

    ReplyDelete