Thursday, March 1, 2012

Le Bistro - Norwegian Cruise Line Sky

So a couple of weeks ago 11 of my friends and I decided to take a short cruise to the Bahamas. We chose the NCL Sky simply because it was affordable. Everyone was excited about the buffets and unlimited food you can eat aboard, I , on the other hand, was a little apprehensive since recently I've been on a similar cruise to the Bahamas on the NCL Pearl.

On the first evening aboard, my boyfriend and I decided we'd try Le Bistro, a french restaurant where each person has to pay an upcharge of $20. The more expensive the restaurant, the better the food, right? That is true in this case.

We started out with the appetizers. I chose the COQUILLES ST. JACQUES PROVENCAL (seared scallops topped with eggplant, tomato, pine nuts and olive oil). The scallops were good but not impressive. This dish would have been perfect had the scallops been slightly undercooked. I also like the two cooked surfaces to be crunchy, which is not the case.


As we waited for the entrees I had a feeling of regret. There are two other restaurants with upcharge and three free restaurants we could have chosen from, did we choose the wrong one? I mean, since this is a very short cruise so we have very limited time to eat, we need to make good food decisions!

My regret slowly dissipated as I saw my dish slowly approaching our table. As always, I took the more adventurous route ordering CARRE D´AGNEAU ROTIS (roast rack of lamb, artichokes, blistered tomatoes, zucchini and green olive sauce) while my boyfriend ordered the FILET DE SAUMON D´ATLANTIC (fillet of Atlantic salmon, swiss chard, morel mushroom with cream Sauce).


Okay, Le Bistro, show me what you can do! In the past I've always been disappointed with lamb that is not tender and too fatty but I was willing to give this dish a try. NCL Sky did not disappoint me. The lamb was cooked just as I had ordered it, medium rare, and was juicy and tender. As you can see, the dish was very skimpy on the vegetables but, in this case, it was okay with me since the lamb was the star. I wish I could show you what my plate looked like after I was done - a pile of bones.


I wish I had tasted my boyfriend's Atlantic Salmon dish to tell you about it but, according to him, it was delicious. I'll take his word for it...this time.
We capped off the relatively perfect meal with a CHOCOLATE NAPOLEON (flourless chocolate cake, hazelnut crunch and gianduja cream) and the classic VANILLA CREME BRULEE (creme brulee with a berry basket and a sablè cookie).



Both desserts were delicious! My boyfriend loves sweet stuff and I love salty stuff but, let me tell ya, I polished off my Napoleon. The flourless cake was so moist and rich with chocolate taste and went so well with the gianduja cream that made me wish I had room for another.

It wouldn't be us if we didn't stuffed ourselves. At the end of dinner, we were ready to roll out of the restaurant, very satisfied and content that Le Bistro didn't disappoint us. With smiles on our faces we thought of what other goodies the NCL Sky has to offer us in the next two days.


3 comments:

  1. Great first post! I really enjoyed reading this--the pictures looked professional and so, so mouthwatering, and the descriptions were as toothsome. There were some food combinations I don't ordinarily have but now wish to try.

    I also keep returning to gaze at the Chocolate Napoleon. I need that.

    I'm glad you picked that restaurant too, and wish I could've been there!

    - Becky B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky! I wish you could have gone with us. You guys need to make a trip down here and we'll show you how to eat well. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate at Le Bistro on NCL Wind back in 2004. First time (only time) I tried escargot and it was amazing!

    Great first post! Will bookmark for sure.

    ReplyDelete